The beautiful man

The beautiful man

Tuesday 12 July 2011

Brief Respite in Hat Works

I spent the day at Hat Works, Stockport today doing some research work and looking at helping out in a voluntary capacity. So I learned how to get onto the database and where the research facilities were. then a sheath of queries in hand off i went. It was truly fascinating, like being a millinery detective, so much more I need to learn. First off looking at the origination of The Piccadilly Managers Panama- from an advert in the 1950's, then the aging of a hat from a whistler painting, then where to look to make hats of the 1860's and before. Some answers and more suggestions as to where to look next.

Whilst there I got to see my colleague Sue Carter's hats in the Whats Hot collection space. Her hats inspired by chocolates and desserts are quite wonderful, they are not there for much longer so f you can pay a trip to Hat Works.


Next to where Sue's hats are displayed are some pieces from one of last years' Hat Designer Finalists Julia Walker. there are three of her Steam Punk inspired hats which are intricate and very fitting to the theme. There are also a dramatic Ascot piece and a selection of hats for a wedding which all have a certain interesting look. She will be featuring a full collection next Easter in Whats Hot, definitely someone to look out for.




Hat Works

3 comments:

  1. HELOO, I used to live down the motorway in sale, and I only just discovered 6 months ago that I was to be a Milliner, I heard the word and knew thats what I wanted to be. i found out yesterday that in stockport, there were 30 HAT FACTORYS! i can not believe i lived so close and never knew about hats....I live in australia now, but will visit HATWORKS MUSEUM when i come home at xmas definately, thank you for a great blog

    samantha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello thank you for following my blog. Hat Works is a great museum and well worth a visit hope you get there in December beat wishes x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon, thanks for this post. Always wondered about Hat Works. Would love to visit. Any idea where those fabulous manny heads came from? Would love to get my hands on a few of those!

    ReplyDelete