The beautiful man

The beautiful man

Saturday 8 October 2011

The Hepworth Wakefield

The Hepworth Wakefield

Though opened in May, I hadn't made the trip into Wakefield to visit the much lauded The Hepworth, in many ways wanting to avoid the crowds, though my visit on a rainy Saturday morning illustrated that the visitors are still in abundance, though plenty of space for quiet contemplation.

The Hepworth Wakefield entrance
the juxtaposition of the stark museum, the sculpture and the industrial landscape is stunning  
In many ways this was coming full circle for me as my final collection for my HNC Millinery was based on Barbara Hepworth and Naom Gabo sculptures, and I had seen the major retrospective at YSP in 2003 so I have always found her work and her inspirational. I was not disappointed.
Image of gallery 1 from The Guardian on line.
Well worth a trip to Wakefield and if you are from out of Yorkshire then a weekend away to enjoy several of our wonderful cultural spaces in West Yorkshire is highly recommended......

Photography is only allowed in the plaster gallery, which makes you look and take in the pieces far more. other highlights for me were some stunning pieces from Ben Nicholson.

the plaster room

No comments:

Post a Comment